Curses! Coiled again!

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri May 26 21:26:06 MDT 2006

> I'd be very grateful for your advice, ideas and comments, dear list, and I will tell you the lesson I have learned from this: Make a well-lighted, very close inspection of coils, as well as pin torque, part of the initial inspection of any older piano before beginning (or quoting) any work to the piano.

"You may have already won" has a higher potential average
return rate. As a rodent hospice, or a Boy Scout "Fire From
Friction" demo, it might be worth showing up for. Playing it
straight, it gets tougher. I'd quote them three prices, with
brutally accurate descriptions of the options.

(1) Condemnation service call. Basically a minimum service
call. Maybe $50, and you don't have to deal with it.

(2) Realistic resurrection price, no buffer, no padding, no
frills. Maybe $8,000, and you are realistically compensated
for dealing with it.

(3) As overpriced as I could make it illusionary smoke and
mirrors procedure calculated to make them feel all warm and
fuzzy about patching up the old loose parts box without
realistically addressing the problems. Maybe $785 for a couple
of hours worth of going through the motions and dealing with
it from the bottom of the deck.

The intention being, if they are thinking, you both win. If
not, you win bigger. Otherwise you spend more time than you
are compensated for, doing minimal work on pits equipment,
passing out your competitor's business cards for future
referrals. Be straight with them, and if they understand and
really want you to flog their dead horse, do so at your
discretion, and at a compensatory price.

Ron N