stripping question

Lhadeh at wmconnect.com Lhadeh at wmconnect.com
Fri May 26 21:32:27 MDT 2006

Greg, I'm sorry, I don't respond on this page often and keep forgetting that
my identity doesn't automatically get posted.

I am Loren Hedahl, reside in Silverdale, Washington, am a retired electrical
engineer, became interested in rebuilding pianos several years ago compliments
of a favorite son who acquired several a few years ago and deposited them . .
.  well, you get the picture, pianos everywhere kind of like weeds.  Now that
he's out of the picture working at a real job also as an electrical engineer,
I have some options on how to dispose of these.  I have chosen to rebuild
most of them, whether to my financial advantage or not.

The local Puget Sound Guild Chapter kindly allowed me into their group a
little over a year ago.  I'm sure I have been more of a deficit than an asset to
them during this year and a half, however perhaps I can contribute a little now
since I was recently elected to be their chapter secretary.  Not quite sure
what I'm getting myself into.  I'll have to see if I can still spell and take
notes.

Concerning identifying an existing finish, try a little alcohol in a
non-criical area.  If it begins to disolve the finish it is probably shellac.  If that
doesn't work, try lacquer thinner.  If that works, it is likely a lacquer.  I
found in my experimentation that lacquer thinner dissolves water borne
lacquer readily also.

When you get to the various varnishes and the cross-linked stuff like
conversion lacquer or conversion varnish, two-part polyurethane clear coat,
polyesther, etc., things get really dicey.  Methylene chloride seems to work on almost
everything.

The problem is, have you ever met an elderly fellow in apparent good health
that did auto or furniture refinishing for a living during all his working
years?  From what I've read none of the solvents are good for your health.
Methylene chloride is about the worst.  I've never heard of a piano that was worth
more than my health, especially the clunkers in my back forty.

So that is why I am perfectly happy to risk burning up or loosening the
veneer with my heat gun to avoid contact with the strippers that are usually used.
I am also working on a finishing method using locally procured water borne
finishes.  Actually this venture is very interesting and exciting to me.  I also
have a deep respect and appreciation for craftsmen who restore historically
valuable instruments to their original glory and for those who make a living
tuning pianos with nothing but a tuning fork, a wrench and some mutes.

To get more familiar with wood finishing, you might like to check out some of
the woodworker forums -- I like Sawmill Creek, but there are several others.
The book I like best is "The New Wood Finishing Book" by Michael Dresdner,
but again there are many others.  Hope this answers your questions.

Loren Hedahl