ETDs, PCs, PDAs & cellphones vs tuning fork : how accurate are they ?

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Sat May 27 17:11:37 MDT 2006

Robert:

I have a VOIP phone so I tried your experiment.  I held the VOIP phone
up to my right ear and the cell to my left.  I couldn't detect a beat or
any pitch difference.  I could notice the short delay that the cell
phone has so that the second "ticks" don't sound together.  The VOIP
phone was ahead of the cell by about the amount I notice when making a
voice call (you know, you're talking to some one and they finally come
to the door and you hear them live and on the phone!)

As a side note, I've certainly been happy with my VOIP phone and it is
the only phone I have since we moved to the country.  No phone line,
just a fixed wireless internet connection which I've recently upgraded
to 1.5 Mbs.  I love that!

dave

David M. Porritt
dporritt at smu.edu