Grand pianos and their designations.

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Sat May 27 17:43:24 MDT 2006

Hi Terry, Vinny and all,

At 12:55 PM -0400 27/5/06, Farrell wrote:

>The length of a piano is measured from the plane of the front face
>of the keyslip to the longest extent of the lid at the tail.

Indeed this is generally the case. However, it seems that some
manufacturers measure the case of a grand using the rim only, while
others include the lid in their measurements. S&S are clearly
measuring their pianos with the lid on. The D is quoted as being 274
cm. But the Hamburg instruments that I've measure are pretty much all
270 cm in length if just the rim is measured. The Samick recently
discontinued 225 model case measures 225 with the lid off. Our number
six piano has a rim that was built by Samick in their bending buck
which was used for this model (the cases are 225.5 cm long). However
the rims they built for us are made from 100% rock maple, including
the belly rail and back beams. The cases were supplied without
finish, so we were able to remodel various aspects of the design,
such as the leg tops and the cheek profile, to suit our own styling
preference. This piano and no. 7 are the last two grands which we are
building with these 225 rims. No. 7 is partly built, but we will wait
for a firm order before continuing.

Next year (2007) we are planning to start on our 280 concert piano
and a 196 cm studio grand. Both of these pianos are measured with the
lid off.

Looking forward to seeing a number of you folks at Rochester.

Best,
Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY