trichord string splaying

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Wed May 31 16:28:36 MDT 2006

Stephen,

There are two design considerations which justify splaying trichord
string groups. One is the provision of adequate support wood in the
bridge cap, as Conrad mentioned, and the other is providing
sufficient clearance between the unison strings to prevent them
jangling under heavy playing.

In the high treble there is little likelihood of strings jangling,
but the adequate-wood-space consideration dictates (or it should)
that the pin groups are spaced. If one was using a bridge agraffe
this spacing consideration wouldn't be necessary.

In the tenor, there is definitely a risk of the unison strings
jangling under heavy playing if the string-to-string clearance is
insufficient. I know of two examples of grands around six foot which
have low-tenor string spacing at the bridge of 10 mm (centre to
centre of the outside unisons). Both of these pianos have
hockey-stick-tenor scales which make the risk of jangling even more
likely as the tension falls towards the break. Playing a note around
B27 heavily will cause the unisons to jangle. A local example of one
of these pianos which is quite new, is undergoing torture at the
hands of an up-and-coming young lady who looks destined to have a
performance career in front of her.

I was called in by the company representative, here in Sydney, to
trouble-shoot the 'noises' this instrument was making under heavy
playing. When I return from Rochester, this piano is coming into the
workshop for a recap in the lower tenor. We'll be spacing the unison
groups at 12 mm in the low bass (I have been using this spacing for
my own bridge layouts for many years).

Unison splaying is also common in the bass bichord-string section for
the same clearance reasons as in the tenor (remind of this at
Rochester Stephen, and I'll point out a couple of observable trends
in the bridge pin line as a result). The agraffe bichord spacing is
usually kept at around 5.5 mm so that the unison spacing at the
hammer head is not too wide. The splaying at the bass bridge should
be widened where possible to equally-space the unisons at their
mid-speaking length point. We lay out the bichords in this way, and I
notice that Fazioli does it too, along with many others from the
European 'design school'.

There are instances where the traditional way has merit. Splaying
unisons is one such example.

Best regards,
Ron O.

--