opinions on this CA job for loose tuning pins

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed Nov 1 06:16:40 MST 2006

Hi Jason,

I use Hot Stuff Red (ultra thin) CA, 2oz bottle and I use the pro tips that
you can buy for the bottles.  It takes a little getting used to how the CA
runs out the tip - the first few drops come out faster than the rest, but
once you get the hang of it, it goes pretty smoothly.

Tip the bottle up and place the tip on the junction of the tuning
pin/bushing or pin/block.  As soon as the juice starts to flow, I'm watching
for saturation.  On blocks where I suspect it might not take much, I may
squeeze the bottle a little, prior to tipping to give me a little buffer.
If the block isn't taking much CA, I can ease my grip on the bottle, and the
flow decreases, or, stops.

It doesn't take too much practice to get the feel for how the CA and behaves
and how it looks when it's wicking into this area.  Same goes for
determining saturation point - it's something that takes a little
observation, but isn't too hard to get a feel for.  Probably the trickiest
part for me is that every block is a little different in terms of how much
CA it will initially accept.

In honesty, I can't say I've never had it drip.  I can say that it did
happen for one of two reasons:

1.    first few times I tried it and was learning a good method.
2.    tried to get the block to take more than it wanted - wasn't paying
attention.

Hope this is helpful.
William R. Monroe