Thunk revisited

Ed Carwithen edwcarw at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 21:37:12 MST 2006

Many Thanks to all who gave information on the "thunk" sound on the baldwin grand.  The problem was indeed the placement of the hammers on the string.  I first tried to alter the placement of the action against the stops at the back of the action, but that was a no go.  When I pulled the action out slightly at the bass end of the action the tone did improve.  I was only able to adjust the metal bracket in the left cheek block by about an eighth of an inch.  That small amount was enough to make the difference.  Even the top 5 notes that had been making virtually zero tone were then aligned and sounding clearly.  Hard to believe that that small adjustment could make so much difference. Thanks to all of you who gave me the benefit of your wisdom.

  Ed Carwithen
  John Day, OR