Warranty Work Question

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 15:55:58 MST 2006

On 11/2/06, mps at usol.com <mps at usol.com> wrote:

> Also, this warranty form I need to fill out is asking me to make the call
> if it is a factory defect or a defect in workmanship of a previous
> technician. I DO NOT want to point fingers at anyone!
> What is a new technician to do here?  So many variables I guess.

Dear Mark,
 I've read several others' replies and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I
suggest you call the manufacturer's rep back and clarify with them
your own policies. If that means (as others have suggested) a service
call in which you evaluate the problem ($ X), and then calling the
company on a regular business day to tell them your diagnosis and
price for the actual repair ($ Y), getting them to confirm they'll pay
you Y dollars to do the repair (and of course the X dollars for the
diagnostic visit), you should be on very solid ground.
Or you might give the rep a verbal quote based on what you're
expecting to find, and plan on fixing it on Saturday. DON'T lowball
your estimate because you may feel you want to "get in good" with this
company, or because the  labor for hanging the hammers or making the
key set was twenty-five cents in their Chinese factory!
The manufacturer's warranty payment form may ask "if it is a factory
defect or a defect in workmanship of a previous technician" for the
most noble reasons: to improve quality control in the factory &/or in
dealer prep. For example, are the hammers clangy and "like rocks"
because that's the way they make them, or because some over zealous
tech soaked them with way too  much plasic & acetone (or other
hardeners)? A "nice", forward thinking company would pay you for your
repairs in either situation. A chintzy one may try to weasel out of
the situation, and suggest you bill the customer. IF they're 100% up
front about this policy, there should be no problem -- you inform the
customer by phone ASAP (before you go out to his place) that they
*might* have a potential monetary liability.
Last of all, are you certain you're competent at the job ahead? If you
have any doubts, that would be where you might disappoint your client.
If so, ask the list for advice, and search the list archives for
appropriate solutions.
Best wishes,
Patrick Draine RPT