Impact Hammer

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Nov 3 03:23:06 MST 2006

Terry,

At 23:13 11/2/2006, you wrote:
>I use an impact lever (I hate that term: hammer - where does that come from?)

'Tis a vestigial term.

Check out the latest (Nov'06) PTJ p.12ff, for the Q&A
roundtable.  The T-handle shown (photo 3) has what looks like a brass
end cap. That would be used, in the manner of a hammer, to tap in
loose tapered (It doesn't look like anyone mentioned that "oblong
style" are tapered.) tuning pins like that shown in photos
#1&2.  Hence the name.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.