P22 Yamaha damper thingee

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 3 13:25:06 MST 2006

Julia,

I agree with Joe and others that you should not try to do major
modifications to a new piano. One thing that hasn't been discussed is:
How is the room where the piano is. I found out that pianos that are in
a very live room (read no carpet and/or drapes) will seem to show more
problems (even key or pedal noises) than similar pianos that are in a
more subdued room.

There was someone that suggested muting the strings below the bridge
(this is easy and reversable). This is what I would try first. Second is
some voicing. Also, if the room is very live, suggest the owners to dull
it up with fabric.

Marcel Carey,RPT
Sherbrooke, QC