Sonny's Of New York

Patrick Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 4 08:33:18 MST 2006

David and Ron: Thanks for your input. This was a new customer, who, unfortunately for him, called me after receiving the piano. The piano was "rebuilt" by Sonny's rebuilder, not SAMA. I had SAMA replace a pinblock and strings on a grand a couple of years back, and was happy with their work.  I guess it is possible that SAMA or some other shop did the restringing and pinblock work, as it was well done, but the piano needed a new board as well. And the action work was very poor - new Abel hammers on shanks that were hung cockeyed, poorly aligned, poorly regulated, 60+ grams touchweight, and poorly aligned dampers to boot.
I feel sorry for the guy who put out the $8400 for a piano sight unseen - sometimes we learn the hard way!
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
Piano Technicians Guild