New Yamaha P22: dampers/ string seating question

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Nov 4 13:43:33 MST 2006

Julia-

The last damper note is probably cut at an angle to let one string sound.  You could put a new damper felt on it or wedge off the open string, thereby completely removing one ringing note.

Then try putting a piece of felt between every other unison for the first 5 or 6 notes above the dampers.  This will give her some 2 string unisons that are not quite so powerful, and might sooth her concerns.

Personally I would not tap the strings much if any.  Those P-22 treble unisons can be difficult to stabilize.  I love my Reyburn impact hammer best in a place like that.

Ed Sutton