Aftertouch

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Nov 4 17:49:03 MST 2006

Hi Jon

Assuming you have a "perfect" regulation and your action geometry is
good... then you have a problem with the parts. Typically knuckles get
worn and flatened.. even the leather looses its grip.  The jack top can
get scored or scraped up causing problems.  Letoff button felt can get
indented and worn and cause a less then precisely defined letoff
condition.  A worn whippen cushion can get into this picture as well.
Another less obvious cause of squishyness can be the keypin binding in
the key slightly.  Oh heck.. there is a lot of stuff that can get into
this.  But I'd look first at the knuckle / jacktop.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Folks,
    Here is a question regarding regulation of aftertouch when
    depressing keys.  When regulation actions, I like to break key
    movement into eighths.  I figure that most normal key depths are 3/8
    inches.  Thus, the first 2/8 of movement is smooth..then there is
    that last 1/8 if aftertouch.  I like to feel the slight hesistion
    (clicking feel).  However, there are times when that aftertouch
    feels too spongy regardless of what I do....jack regulations, drop,
    let off, etc....   About the only thing that seems to help is a
    slight increase of depth....but why would most keys have the
    "normal" feel of aftertouch, while a few are unresponsive...?????

    Any ideas?

    Jon