Aftertouch

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Nov 4 17:51:45 MST 2006

HI Jon
    oh,oh,oh...hmm... After touch....see Yamaha  definition/class.  Key dip
measured where? is always the question that  needs to be answered first.
Yamaha's measure 10 mm at the front of the  white key.  Steinways & most others I
measure at the pin with a  gauge fitting between the bottom of the key & the
punching. I am a dip  priotiy regulator meaning I,m looking for .390 ish
dip/total key travel at the  pin.  After setting this dip Find a hammer blow distance
that will just  allow the jack to  just start to  escape when you put a .050
card  board punching on top ot the front rail felt.  If you do this on each
key  as a check you will have quite a uniform feel.
  Also go with Tom Cole's advice about Wurzen punchings.  Regular  green one
will compress .035 the Wurzen only about .015 even on a hard  blow.  It gives
a very precise & limited key travel & will also  enhance the sound by limiting
energy loss in the key.
   Dale Erwin

Jon,

When you say spongy, I'm led to think that the front rail  punching's are
what you're talking about. Try a set of Wurzen felt punchings
(_http://www.pianofortesupply.com/_ (http://www.pianofortesupply.com/) )  and see if that helps.

Key dip is typically 10 mm, a bit more than  3/8". Aftertouch might be a
little less than 1/8" (of key dip); check for the  jacks clearing the knuckles by
a 1/32".

Tom Cole

J W Stein  wrote:

Hi Folks,

Here is a question regarding regulation of aftertouch when depressing  keys.
When regulation actions, I like to break key movement into  eighths.  I
figure that most normal key depths are 3/8  inches.  Thus, the first 2/8 of
movement is smooth..then there is that  last 1/8 if aftertouch.  I like to feel the
slight hesistion (clicking  feel).  However, there are times when that
aftertouch feels too spongy  regardless of what I do....jack regulations, drop, let
off,  etc....   About the only thing that seems to help is a slight  increase of
depth....but why would most keys have the "normal" feel of  aftertouch, while
a few are unresponsive...?????

Any ideas?

Jon