Baldwin spinet repair?

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Sat Nov 4 19:21:50 MST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <rnossaman at cox.net>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2006 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: Baldwin spinet repair?

> I'm impressed! That's a pretty inventive relatively cheap bypass of a
> repair that's otherwise much more than the piano's worth. I'd give it an 8
> for practicality and effectiveness.
> Ron N

I agree, Ron.  I was amazed at the ingenuity.  It created some weird tonal
problems, but hey, it's a spinet!

As mentioned, the only other piano in which I have seen this particular
crack is a 1960 Acrosonic.  It has less plate "meat" above that hitchpin
area and the crack is much wider.  I do not service the Acrosonic.  It was
the piano on which I took lessons as a child and is presently owned by
family friends.  The crack in the Acrosonic developed about ten years ago at
36 years of age (give or take a few)!

I plan on sending some of the pics from this repair to their tech.

I haven't a clue as to who dreamt this up for a solution!  The piano was
purchased used from a local shop.  I am confident that the repair was made
prior to the shop acquiring the piano...very confident ;-)

Debbie