Removing Sticking Damper Underlevers on Asian Grands

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Fri Nov 10 06:05:41 MST 2006

  OK, I've now been stumped twice on this particular problem by two fairly new Korean grand pianos.  I'm convinced the problem is the underlever, but cannot get the XW#@ things out to rebush and repin them.  The last time, I was able to unscrew the offender and bring it forward (but not all the way out of the damper underlever system) enough to douse it with lubricant.  And it worked wonderfully for about two weeks - but just got the email this morning that it is sticking again.  Help please on how best to go about getting these little devils all the way out of the piano to correctly deal with them.  Please don't tell me that I'm going to have to remove the entire damper system...

  Rick Bazemore, RPT
  Social Circle, GA
  www.pianosintune.com
  Rick,

      What kept the thing from coming out?

      Your removed the damper wire from the lever I assume and you said the flange screw came out.

      I'm having trouble picturing this one. Any more info?

      Thanks and best wishes,

      Tom Driscoll