Removing Sticking Damper Underlevers on Asian Grands

Marcel Carey mcpiano at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 10 06:55:46 MST 2006

Hi Rick,

Yes, this can be frustrating. I still remember the first time I had to
get an underlever out. Did you raise the damper stop rail completely up?
On some pianos, one can also remove the damper lifter rail or just
unscrew it from one side to get it out of the way.

But, I know you don't want to hear it, but, if you had a problem with
one or two notes, I could bet the problem will come back to haunt you on
other notes. It is sometimes the longer road that brings the best
result. Some of these pianos had plating problems with the center pins
and there is only one solution:  repinning. Sorry for the bad news.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC