Harpsichord Stand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 10 19:40:42 MST 2006

Barbara asked: "I have taken apart this harpsichord stand, which was hardly
glued together in the first place and am preparing to glue it up again.
Here's my question, is there are way anyone would suggest to secure it
other than just gluing it. No, I'm not talking about clamping while waiting
for the glue to dry, but shooting a screw through at an angle or some other
(more?) desirable woodworking procedure to make it stronger/sturdier.

Thanks!

Barbara,
 There are two things I would do: 1. Cut a saw kerf in the Tenon part; make
hardwood wedges, (1or 2 degrees), that will fit into the kerf. Apply glue
to the mortise & Tenon parts, plus the wedge. Make the wedges length so
that when you assemble the part, you'll have to dead-blow hammer it
together, which will drive the wedges into the kerf and expand the Tenon.
This has been done on legs and lyres for eons. It really works well. (this
procedure is easier to do than explain.:-()) 2. I'd make an "X" brace that
would tie in front to back. This will sturdy the whole thing up and take
some of the stress off of the mortise/tenon joints. This brace can be
decorative and finished to match the frame.
Have fun.<G>
Regards,
Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police