Spinet Hammer Butt Springs

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 11 12:40:39 MST 2006

John Ross said: "I have found that drilling an extra hole in the slot, and
threading the end
of the wire into it, and snugging up, really helps secure the wire in the
slot.
Trying to just bend, and push it into the slot, doesn't work as well.

John,
I'm glad you brought that up! It's a real pain to drill those iddy-biddy
holes accurately. Many broken mini-drill bits later, I found that, if you
tug on the spring tail and then make the bend, into the slot....That'll
hold them sufficiently...However, a neat little tool that will "seat" those
puppies, is a wide blade screwdriver with an indentation in the end of the
blade. A couple of strokes with a jeweler's  triangle file will suffice.
Get the tail in the indentation and tap the tail into the slot. Works
great. Of course, after you've seated all of them, then it's time to
slather the rail with hot hide glue and install the Spring Rail Felt. That
will hold them...Permanently.
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police