Spinet Hammer Butt Springs

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 11 12:47:12 MST 2006

Jon Page said: "Remove the action. It's too difficult to remove the rail in
the piano.

No It's Not!

The keys may have to be removed first with newspaper placed over the key
pins
so the stickers do not get caught in them. Same process to install the
action.

 A better way is to "retain" the wire stickers with miniature bungie cords,
that you can get in the camping section of any store.

Fairly simple. The trick is not to damage the damper heads on the stud at
the
bass/tenor break.

Excellent suggestion! The best thing is to remove those two damper heads,
before removing the action. Much safer..

Don't place the coils against the rail, leave a small space. either a
steel rule
or the back edge of a razor blade.

I understand your reason for this, but I've never had a problem with the
coils being snug up against the rail. Luck? Maybe.<G> I wouldn't bother,
but, if it works for you...go for it.<G>

Regards,
Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I