Rebuilt Action Touch is too light

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 12 06:31:34 MST 2006

Brett,
I've found piano professors at two schools thought I had lightened
and action when in fact I had made a little heavier after I shortened
keydip from about 1/2" to Steinway spec. of 0.380.  A lot of people
do prefer dip closer to 0.480  Now in this case they thought the
piano was more responsive too so we kept the regulation dip.

As for weight, you can add those small clips from PianoTek to the
hammer shanks and see if that is really what the issue is.

The other thing is damper timing.  Steinway has dampers start about a
dime's thickness of key-travel.  That is how I made it a little
heavier.  I taper this from the bass all the way to the treble.  This
is how I get rid of the back and forth phasing when people slowly
release the pedal.  No problems with ringers this way.

Good luck,
Andrew Anderson