Heintzmann model info urgently requested, please!

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 17 11:42:13 MST 2006

Found a 6'2" Heintzmann that had been near a  fire.
Only minor water damage evident ( rusty strings )
otherwise, solid. $2,500.  Has tiny holes in very
massive capo  bar to laterally position strings ( like
agraffes ) before they go under the plate bearing
surface in the upper ocatves. Lower half has agraffes.
Very wide tail.
     I suspect this is a gorgeous instrument, begging
to rebuilt, but have heard that there are several
"Heintzmanns", i.e.,  "Heintzmann and Sons",
"Heintzmann Brothers" , etc.. As the piano was
recently refinished, it just says "Heintzmann" ( cheap
label ) on the key cover, and I was too stupid ( at
the time ) to read all the plate script. And now I'm
60 miles away.
Questions: Does the massive capo with the holes in it
indicate it is one of the "good" ones?  Which of the
various Heintzmann namebrands is the best? By how
much? What does the number "190" on the action front
rail mean, if anything.
     If you have answers to these questions, or can
offer any other info on the Heintzmann brands, I
woiuld be very grateful to hear it.
     Thank you!
     Gordon