Sudden damper buzz syndrome

WilsonianJ at aol.com WilsonianJ at aol.com
Sat Nov 18 22:15:42 MST 2006

Dear Geoff,

I have a sneaking suspicion that the dampers are "crusty" and are "sizzling"
upon contact with the strings.   Your client may have only now noticed after
listening more intently to your tuning.   I highly doubt that the issue was
caused by your tuning, but your client may believe differently. The quick fix for
sizzling dampers is to remove the damper and soften the felt a bit.   It
doesn't take much so if you very conservatively scratch the surface of the felt,
you should ameliorate the problem.   Roughing up the felt too much will cause
leaking dampers. Try it on one or two first to see if that's the problem.

Good luck, Geoff,

Jim Wilson, RPT
L.A. Chapter