Sudden damper buzz syndrome

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sun Nov 19 09:28:42 MST 2006

On Nov 18, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Geoff Sykes wrote:

> he mentioned that all the wound strings are now exhibiting a buzz
> when the damper comes into contact with the played string....

Hey Geoff---IMO it's that the bass dampers (and probably others) have
a hard crust on them, and are making that noise as the damper slips
back toward the surface of the strings.  You need to soften the
surface of those dampers, by needling and light sanding; soften them
up; I've always called this condition "oinking dampers." Happens all
the time. Learn how now, so you can be a hero in a crucial recording
situation down the road.....

David Andersen