End-Butt Joint Via Epoxy

William Morton wjmwjm at asisna.com
Sun Nov 19 16:19:47 MST 2006

On 19, Nov 2006, , at 14:16, Farrell wrote:

> I think it is well accepted that a grain-end butt joint is likely
> the weakest way to join two pieces of wood. I have a project in my
> shop that required 8-foot long boards of an exotic wood. The
> longest I could find anywhere were 4 feet long. So I bought two 4-
> foot-long boards. Epoxy man used epoxy magic to make the two 4-
> footers into an 8-foot long board. I simply end-butt jointed two
> boards together to make the longer board via the two-step West
> System bonding method.

Obviously this is working for you.  A suggestion for increasing the
surface area of the glued
surface, and possibly thereby the strength, would be to cut matching
V-shaped kerfs fairly
deeply into the joint-end pieces and then glue that.  Requires some
precision to make the
cuts; I'm sure there's a tool out there somewhere that does this as
I've seen the jointing
using this in rafters and other rough construction.