Killer Octave CC & CC&R

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 20 06:48:17 MST 2006

Ric,
We've been enjoying a Sauter here.  I hadn't looked into soundboard
construction methodology.  Would your description coincide with
Compression Crowned and Rib supported--CC&R?
It has been my understanding that the loss of sustain in the fifth
and sixth octaves of Steinway pianos (New York I haven't worked with
Hamburg) is due to inadequate support of the belly-rail (secondary)
and inadequate rib support of the soundboard/bridge assembly in that
particular area (primary) of the piano.  Does that coincide with your
experience?  I haven't encountered and old Sauter yet to see how
gracefully it ages...

Andrew Anderson