Killer Octave CC & CC&R

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Nov 20 11:03:32 MST 2006

Grin.

Andrew you open a bucket of worms to be sure.  If you want to know my
experience... its that if the Steinways I've run into... like just about
any other CC boarded piano are kept at reasonable RH levels... they
never develop a killer octave worth commenting on.  Flame suit on big
time.  As to whether or not the ribs are actually underdimensioned and
there is not enough support from the belly rail....  This kind of
depends on your perspective.  From an engineering standpoint there seems
to be quite a bit of consensus (at least on pianotech) that there is
indeed a problem.  I think its important however to remember that there
are many many pianos built this way that have held up just dandy over
many years.  Sauters, like Steingræbers, like Seiler, like Steinway,
like Bechstein, like Yamaha, like etc etc etc  all use this method in
one form or another.  Most use curved ribs... some dry out the wood a
bit more then others before ribbing... but in the end  they all use what
must be termed CC boards.

I think you can expect the Sauter to age similiarilly.  If you give it a
good home the panel will get gradually flatter and the sound will mellow
and loose a bit of that nice bloom... but still maintain a nice voice.
If you dont... it probably will sound like mud in 15 years or so.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,
    We've been enjoying a Sauter here.  I hadn't looked into soundboard
    construction methodology.  Would your description coincide with
    Compression Crowned and Rib supported--CC&R?
    It has been my understanding that the loss of sustain in the fifth
    and sixth octaves of Steinway pianos (New York I haven't worked with
    Hamburg) is due to inadequate support of the belly-rail (secondary)
    and inadequate rib support of the soundboard/bridge assembly in that
    particular area (primary) of the piano.  Does that coincide with your
    experience?  I haven't encountered and old Sauter yet to see how
    gracefully it ages...

    Andrew Anderson