Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Nov 20 11:42:31 MST 2006

> The pin is harder, but the wood which touches the string acts like a damper
> for very high frequencies. I exaggerate this to make my point, but that's
> what happens.
> Piano makers have long used the hardest woods in the top treble caps. I
> believe they recognized the need for a very stiff material there, to
> minimize energy loss. The bridge agraffe is another quite efficient) way of
> reducing energy losses where it matters most.

Hi Calin,
I see it somewhat differently. The wood acts as a damper, yes,
but not for high frequencies, but rather for bleed through.
The short segments within a bridge agraffe are too short to
sound audibly. They are, however, long enough to transmit
string motion, via rocking on the bearing points, through to
the back scale. This doesn't happen in a conventionally pinned
bridge, so with bridge agraffes, you get a direct relationship
between the string played, and the back scale of that note.
This is the way front duplexes work, only it's on a moving
bridge in this case instead of a more solid plate, and the
deflection angles are typically shallower in the bridge
agraffe, increasing the effect. It isn't a problem in the
lower portions of the scale because the back scale is
typically braided off down there already to prevent noise
being generated by the long back scales. I would bet that
braiding off the back scale would immediately kill that
objectionable "agraffe" noise. But then you wouldn't get the
sound from the open back scale of a conventionally pinned
bridge, hence the rubber or felt dampers in the agraffes. They
kill the bleed through noises without killing the typical and
"normal" open back scale noise.

My take,
Ron N