Twelve Tunelab settings

Jason Kanter jkanter at rollingball.com
Tue Nov 21 10:42:39 MST 2006

I have put a slide show of the deviation curves of several different Tunelab settings here:
http://rollingball.com/images/TwelveTunelabSettings.mht
You may need to "accept" some ActiveX controls in order to view this 24-image slide show. It works best if you click on "slide show" in the lower right.

This takes two pianos: a Steinway D and a Kawai studio. Using Tunelab's new Auto feature, I set each of these pianos to twelve different ratio settings: for example, 6:3/4:1, 6:3/4:2, 8:1/8:1 and so on.

The slide show displays how the "deviation curve" region of Tunelab is affected by these settings.
The deviation curve shows, for any given partial ratio, how many cents away from "perfect" it is across the piano.
Bass ratios are displayed from A0 up to about D4, and treble ratios are displayed from D4 up to C8.

When you set a curve using Auto, you can then switch to a different ratio display to see how that ratio gets affected by the current setting. Because all the partials are sounding at once, all the ratios are active at once. I took screenshots of how each of the twelve settings affects several other ratios. The resulting display is most interesting. For example, I conclude that 6:3/4:1 is NOT the best setting for either the D or the studio.

Enjoy, and ask questions...

Jason Kanter
rollingball.com