Scruffing -was - Over-Strike vs Under-Strike

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 25 15:32:46 MST 2006

Ed

OK, you point out an extreme condition that clearly would not be desirable.
Extreme conditions are rarely solutions, but they are useful in making a
point.  Your point is well taken.  I have said before, the most common
mistake in piano building is thinking that if a little is good then a whole
lot more must be better.

There are wonderful sounding pianos out there, even some of the uprights.
I expect that scruffing is something that occurs, to some extent, in all
pianos.   The question is:  Can we make the less wonderful sounding pianos
sound a little better by understanding and controlling this variable just a
little better?

Frank Emerson
pianoguru at earthlink.net

we would need knife-edged hammers on inflexible shanks.  Not a sound I
would work very hard to produce.