measuring ratios, (was popsicle)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Nov 26 14:08:16 MST 2006

Greetings,
  I have been using a 6 mm block attached to a weighted length of 2X2 on the
top of the key, and a dial caliper to measure how much the hammer rises.  This
gives me a ratio in approx. 15 seconds, ie.  if the hammer rises 36 mm, it is
a 6:1 action.  If it rises 30 mm, it is a 5:1 action.  if it rises 33 mm, it
is a 5.5 action etc.
   This system will also give me other info, as in progressively using two 3
mm blocks, which will tell me if an action has a higher ratio at the beginning
of a hammerstroke (bad progression), or if the beginning ratio is lower than
the final, (good progression).
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT