Stephen...Two Remedies to correct a light action

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Nov 26 14:30:37 MST 2006

In both cases, upright and grand, adjusting the dampers to lift at
nearly the beginning of key stroke is the wrong way of going about
things. This stuff is all interactive   -- interelated.  Dampers are
supposed to engage halfway through the key stroke for some very good
regulation reasons.  Travel distance comes immediately to mind, along
with the regulation of the pedals relative to damper lift. But the list
is longer. In an upright you are likely going to jam the damper wire
into the stoprail and the same basics apply to the pedal relationship to
damper lift.

If you need more weight to your touch, there are easy and quick ways of
going about it that do not compromise reasonably standard regulation.
True, you can fudge a little with damper timing.  But that window is
very much smaller then what seems to be described below.  There is
nothing beautiful about the touch created in an action which has damper
timing set at the very beginning of the keystroke.  It wont take long
before pianists start making pertainant
 remarks about it me thinks. Stick to basic regulation specs and solve
your weight problems in appropriate fashions.  JALPOA.

RicB

    Greetings,

             I must admit, back in the days when I was not a piano tech,
    I took
    my upright piano apart and taped nuts to the rear of all the key
    sticks. That
    increased the weight. When I got home from tuning school I removed
    them,
    because I learned that adjusting the spoons can accomplish a heavire
    touch.. But now
    I am trying to find the time to adjust the spoons to make a heavier
    touch.
    Your felt thing is a really good idea!  It sort of does the same
    thing a spoon
    adjustment does only it can be undone easier than readjusting all
    the spoons.

    Julia
    Reading, PA

    In a message dated 11/16/2006 4:59:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,