finishing bench top

Dtalcott at cs.com Dtalcott at cs.com
Sun Nov 26 15:13:53 MST 2006

Joel--

Since I do not do much regulating I have not built a bench but use the top of
my
1920s vintage table saw, which is laminated maple.

However, after 40 years of  foolling around with such things I would
certainly consider
these:

Coatings:  Spar varnish (very tough).

Laminates: Plexiglas (will scratch but looks sexy), Formica (I have used a
matte
finished version), Congoleum (?) (linoleum with little chips in it, used in
supermarket
checkout counters), or even galvanized iron or sheet copper (if you can find
a big
enough piece).

Cheers,
Dave Talcott