Stephen...Two Remedies to correct a light action

Stephen Papastephanou spapaste at comcast.net
Sun Nov 26 15:57:24 MST 2006

Hi Julia,

Basically by doing this, you are using the weight of the dampers early,
lifting them almost immediately as you press the key, and this gives a firm
and pleasant feel to the touch. On my piano it took me about 10 minutes to
do. I undid it and redid in in another 10 minutes regretting it.
I am presently a classical pianist, and not a technician, but I enjoy very
much learning whatever I can from piano technicians in order to keep my two
grand pianos optimally tuned and in as good a mechanical shape as possible.
I used the felt trick on a 1911 Bluthner 6 foot grand, which I have slowly
managed to bring it in excellent condition. It¹s old action is so designed
that it has no aftertouch. Initially I used this thin sheet of self adhesive
felt ($ .99 at the arts an craft store) because I had noticed that the
original felt pushing the dampers up, had been worn a little bit, and was
very pleasantly surprised with the results.
It is the piano I use to practice on, and prefer it to a wonderful C7 Yamaha
that I also have, with a new action. One might wonder ³Does the touch of
this old action feel like a weighted electronic piano?²
The answer is not at all, because of all the other friction points that are
involved, giving it the touch of a concert piano.
Using these felts greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the piano. One should not
forget that all the great pianists who passed on around 1955- (Rachmaninoff,
Hoffman, Levine, etc.), played on this type of action.

All the best

Steve