measuring ratios/ popsicle puzzle

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Nov 27 11:45:46 MST 2006

It would be helpful to know the current bore specs, but I would consider
replacing the shanks with either 16 or 16.5mm whichever gives you the proper
ratio for the given SW you intend to use and gets the action to regulate
properly at 10 mm dip and 43 - 45 mm blow.  Then I would check the magic
line to see where the capstan falls with the action regulated with the new
parts.  If raising the stack puts the magic line more on target, I would
raise the stack which will take up some of the gap at the rest cushion.  The
remainder of the gap I would fill by adding felt or installing a thicker
rest cushion.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

Case in point. (here is the puzzle part)
I am currently preparing to rehammer and reshank a 10 year old D which
has a very high string height and a very low ratio (4.9). At 1 7/8 blow, the

shanks are almost 1/2" off the cushions.   This action currently has 17 mm
knuckle distance, SW in the upper middle range, FW in the average range, and

ridiculously low DW of 50 gr. in the bass, 44 gr in the area of note 25, and
40-42
gr. from note 32 on up.  BW on A0 is 40, tapering down to 33 at note 73.
I could elect to reduce the FW, keeping all other things near the same.
However, this would not address how high the hammers are off the rest
cushions.  It would not increase the power,either.  What would you do?
( I already have a plan of action, which entails three changes, but will be
interested in other's interpretation.)

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT