measuring ratios/ popsicle puzzle

Alan McCoy ahm at webband.com
Tue Nov 28 00:10:52 MST 2006

Hey Ed,

For one thing I think I'd use heavier hammers and a flatter (than Stanwood)
SW curve. Your low ratio will certainly support a higher SW. A flatter curve
will even out the sloping BWs. Heavier hammers will give you more power. As
David Love pointed out if raising the stack will get you closer to
convergence while not causing more problems, then it would help with
potential capsizing. How well does it check? Maybe the backchecks need to be
higher anyway? Moving the capstan back would increase the ratio, decrease
dip and increase DW and BW, all in the  direction you want to go especially
for the higher treble.  Is the capstan line straight?

Alan