Steinway upright verdigree

pmc033 at earthlink.net pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 29 22:33:07 MST 2006

FWIW, I had a piano that had been treated with some kind of elixir (probably WD-40), that was all but frozen.  It was a large old upright.  I used solvent on the centers, and blew out the residue with compressed air.  I found that as I was doing this, that residue was exuding from the bottom of the flange through the pores of the wood.  Apparently whatever had soaked the flange was coming out from the compressed air.  Simply saturating the flange bushing wasn't enough, but after blowing it all out, the action returned to playable condition (it's been over 2 years since).
    YMMV.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego