T3 - Recycle DC bags

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Sun Oct 1 09:03:12 MDT 2006

I concur that the results of installing bottom covers are wonderful. I've
proven it to myself with my own anecdotal experience on problem grand
pianos. Within the last year I've also proven to my satisfaction that the
results on vertical pianos also make those back cover installs worthwhile-
especially those that stand out in the middle of a room with the back
exposed, like a choir room.

My average installation time on a cover is around 45 minutes- about the same
as the install time of the basic system. I have a special tool case that
contains all the tools needed for cover installations: high quality scissors
and stapler, razors, staple gun, heat tape, iron, extra Velcro, thumb tacks,
staples, 6-in-1 screwdriver, needle nose vice grips, and probably some other
stuff.

On vertical back covers I like to pull the hinges off, staple across the top
under the lid, stretch the fabric under the bottom and staple underneath
along the bottom, and use heat tape on the sides. Then I screw the hinges
back into their existing holes. It looks very finished having the cloth
under the hinges.

Some pianos, like the Kawai UST-7, don't have the top lid hinged in the
back. On that piano I just use heat tape across the top.

Dean