Missing Bass String for Krauss Grand Piano

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 1 17:03:17 MDT 2006

Jon,
Go to http://www.pianostrings.com/  This is James Arledge's website.   Order his measuring kit...$15.   A really simple tape with the hook modified to measure from the hitchpin.   Then when you come into this situation:   Using both neighboring bass strings...measure the distance from the hitch pin to the winding.  Measure the winding length.   Mic the core wire and mic the core + the winding.   Again measure both strings.   Send this to Arledge or whomever makes strings for you and they should be able to make a suitable string.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044