old Broadwoods

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sun Oct 1 17:07:39 MDT 2006

Hello Anne.

Nice reading your posts, as I also am a fan of older instruments.
Reading you latest post, I had the feeling that you think that tuning to 440
a piano supposed to be designed to be tuned to 415 or so could destroy it's
pinblock or other structural piece.
Curiously, playing what if with a scaling spreadsheet teached me that the
difference in overall tension is not at all that huge when changing tuning
from 415 to 440 or even 455.  A pinblock that fails at 440 would anyway fail
at 415, like all french pinblocks do, because of underengineering.  Same if
you change string material.  Tensions change in a proportion that is,
methink, not at all relevant when analysing pinblock failure causes.

What do you think ?

Greetings.

Stéphane Collin.