Call for scaling spreadsheets

Richard Moody remoody at midstatesd.net
Sun Oct 1 23:25:31 MDT 2006

Twas posted.....
""We've all been led to believe that inharmonicity is caused by the
stiffness of the wire; hence if the tension increases, surely the stiffness
increases.""

Piano wire is elastic.  The more you pull it the stiffer it gets? Never the
less you have to go to the math formulas and the physics professors who
write about them.  To quote one, "Also, if f, the fundamental frequency , is
increased by tightening the string, the inharmonicity is decreased."
McFerrin p 44.
	I have imagined there is a "maximum vibrational efficiency" of a
piano wire. If it is too slack you loose something, if it is too tight you
run into other factors, number one exceeding the elasticity limit, which is
where the wire is stretched so much it will not come back to its original
length when tension is released, but before it is stretched so much it
breaks.  Like a slinky that doesn't coil back right, or a spring that is
obviously stretched because it doesn't come back to its original shape yet
still functions as a spring.      Rm