Homer the singing dog

Richard Moody remoody at midstatesd.net
Sun Oct 1 23:35:11 MDT 2006

For a few years I tuned and played pianos in our house with our German
Shepherd Dog, Pepper.  (female) inside.   One Sunday afternoon during a
birthday party for an elderly couple, when we got to ".happy birthday
dear..." we heard a rather unearthly moan  like some one singing off (way
off) key.  It tuned out to be Pepper.  (under the grand piano of all places)
She had a wide variety voices between moans and howls but I never knew it
until she heard and responded to humans singing in chorus.     I soon found
out she was even more  responsive to a male falseceto (sp) voice.   She was
at her best in ". the hills are alive with the sound of Pepper dog
singinggggggg.."   I wanted to submit it to "Best  Home Videos" because I
had never heard a dog sing as much or on cue.  Yet  for her first 3 years
she never responded to the sound of a piano or a piano being tuned.  I don't
know what that says about me as a tuner other than I don't hum when I tune.
The only other thing she howled at was coyotes, but that is another story.

Rscar       (if Oscar was spelled with an R)

          "While we look to the dramatist to give romance to realism,

             we ask of the actor to give realism to romance."

            Oscar Wilde (1854-1900); Irish poet and dramatist.