Formulae for string scaling

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 3 20:07:30 MDT 2006

Jason asked: "Mismatched, yes. But given that they are matched, how much difference does
the length of the bare ends make?"

Jason,
For those who really want to "smooth out" the Inharmonicity, it is a "tool" for such. Even though the asthetics will suffer, it is a way to get the inharmonicity more balanced. To speak directly to your question: It makes a huge difference, if the string maker is "Schraffing", (i.e. putting a huge "safety factor" into the remade set of strings)!!!
We've all seen bare wire lengths in "new" strings of 1.5" to 3"!! That sort of thing is what really got me going several years ago, when I wrote a "tirade" message that was in the Journal, about string makers. Because of that Tirade, I was able to connect with some string makers that gave a damn and wouldn't "jack the price", for their stupidity. (of course, no names will be used/mentioned.<G>) Currently we have some really knowledgeable string makers available: James Arledge; J.D. Grandt & Ari Isaac, to name a few. Oh, and Sanderson as well.
When the String Makers know the ins/outs of scaling, it makes for a mutual need for accuracy and craftsmanship that makes our work so much easier and gratifying.
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I