Tri-chord wound strings - was formulae.......

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Thu Oct 5 07:26:02 MDT 2006

When I used to do a lot of rescaling I redesigned an old 3 bridge S&S A
scale and replaced the wound trichords with wound bichords, but they
still sounded to me like they were anomalous with the timbre of the rest
of the piano. (They did tune 33% cleaner, though! ;-) My thinking is
that where you have a section of strings of a different length, pulling
different tension, strung across a different bridge glued to a different
part of the board, they're likely to sound different. Transition bridges
were a remedy for just this problem (the bass/tenor break), but they add
a second tonal "break". Carefully designed and manufactured strings will
minimize the tonal transitions on either two or three bridge designs,
but my ears much prefer the sound of wound strings at the bottom of the
treble bridge, regardless of their appearance on graphs of tension and
inharmonicity

- Mark Dierauf