string calculations threads

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Wed Oct 4 05:12:25 MDT 2006

Hi folks

Ron O, thanks muchly for the long and insightful post. Lots of good info
coming through now.  Our little group hopes to put together and release
soon a basic spreadsheet with an interface that lends itself well to
learning about scaling work fairly soon.  It is my hope all interested
will be able to share various scales on this same platform for
discussion and collective enlightenment.

One thing I'd like to get really crystal clear on this theme.  The
calculation of end lengths for single and double wounds.  I am getting
the sense that while end lengths are extremely important to get
consistent during the actual string making process, they are not so
important to consider in a scale design program / spreadsheet.  I've
read a couple exceptions to that position... but much of what I read
seems to point in that direction.  Is this correct or have I misunderstood ?

One other point.... Hex string.  I would very much appreciate any
comments pertinent to how inharmonicity  works out when hex core is
used.  I seem to recall that inharmonicity is generally lessened when
hex core is used.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
RicB