string calculations threads

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 07:47:44 MDT 2006

At 1:12 pm +0200 4/10/06, Ric Brekne wrote:

>...I am getting the sense that while end lengths are extremely
>important to get consistent during the actual string making process,
>they are not so important to consider in a scale design program /
>spreadsheet.

Take for example a single-covered string 1000 mm long of overall
diameter 3.3mm with copper (rho=8.95) wound on a No.19 steel core
(rho=7.85)

Suppose we leave 10mm uncovered at the soundboard bridge and 15 at
the top, totalling 25mm.  The theoretical density of the speaking
length will be 6.96 g/cc.  If we leave a total of 40mm. uncovered,
the density will drop to 6.83.  This will produce _theoretical_
values of K (see my formulas) of 20345 and	20742 respectively.
You can calculate what difference this will make in practice.

>One other point.... Hex string.  I would very much appreciate any
>comments pertinent to how inharmonicity  works out when hex core is
>used.  I seem to recall that inharmonicity is generally lessened
>when hex core is used.

Which respectable maker (apart from Grotrian and Ibach 100 years ago)
has ever used hexagonal cores?

JD