Hex Core Bass Strings

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Wed Oct 4 17:46:09 MDT 2006

I have been curious for a long time about hex core bass strings.  I
don't like the universal bass strings which use them, but there are
very decent pianos which come with hex core bass strings from the
factory:
Grotrian and Ibach (in vintage pianos) have been mentioned.  Berdux, a
small but prestigious German maker, used them in at least some of their
wonderful grands in the "good old days".  I'm sure there are quite a
few more brands.

More recently, uprights by Schimmel and Steingraeber (today) use hex
core bass strings.  Interestingly, Steingraeber grands do not.  I asked
a head honcho at Bechstein about hex core strings, he told me you can't
get a good sounding bass string on a hex core.  Well, the Steingraeber
uprights are surely among the finest vertical pianos built today.

So what gives?  Hex core wire costs a lot more than round wire, but
perhaps it can still be cheaper to use?  The number of reject strings
could be lower because copper grabs onto the hex wire better.  But is
that enough of a factor to go hexed?

I would be very interested what scale experts and bass string
experimenters have to say on this topic.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com