Designs on a grand scale

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Oct 7 09:10:30 MDT 2006

Hi Ron. Nice post with lots of goodbits for information hungry techs.
Thanks muchly

The inwardly curved bridge was something well argued at Rochester this
year, and I for one would welcome more discourse back and forth on its
merits. As for suspended bass bridges.  I think by now even the most
skeptical of us here have come to agree that there are <<better>> ways
of doing things.

Cheers
RicB

Ron Overs writes:

I have no doubt that a straight bridge can be made to work well. But
I think there are advantages to the inwardly curved bass bridge.

Firstly, I have absolutely no time for using suspended bass bridges
in any piano, regardless of how short the piano under consideration
might be. Suspended bridges expose the soundboard panel to
undesirable torsional forces which cannot be doing anything to help
the sound board operate as a uniform panel. Furthermore, just from a
listening standpoint, suspended bridges seem to sound inferior to
straight connected bridges.