Swedge lives!

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 15:18:02 MDT 2006

At 10:25 am -0500 5/10/06, William R. Monroe (off list) wrote:

>>From The Century Dictionary, New York, 1914.
>
>Swedge: (swej), v. t. Same as Swage (2).

I stand corrected!  All searches for the variant in online
disctionaries failed.  On receiving William's email I dusted off the
magnifying glass I need to read my compact version of the Oxford
Dictionary and discover among the quotations using "swedge" one from
no lesser writer than Rudyard Kipling.

Apologies therefore to those swedgers whose word I doubted.

JD