Designs on a grand scale

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Fri Oct 6 20:21:52 MDT 2006

>At 11:17 pm +1000 5/10/06, Overs Pianos wrote:
>
>>Substituting the figures for the above speaking lengths into the
>>above multiplier equation we get;
>>
>>=(135/94)^(1/(26-1))
>>= 1.014584831
>>
>>You can now take this multiplier and create your log-style speaking
>>lengths from Bfl26 to A1.
>>
>>Bfl26 = 94 cm
>>A25 = 94 * 1.014584831  =  95.4  cm
>>G#24 = 95.4 * 1.014584831 = 96.8 cm
>>. . . etc. all  the way to A1 at 135 cm

JD wrote;

>So to complete the series we would have:
>
>94.0, 95.4, 96.8, 98.2, 99.6, 101.1, 102.5, 104.0, 105.5, 107.1,
>108.6, 110.2, 111.8, 113.5, 115.1, 116.8, 118.5, 120.2, 122.0,
>123.8, 125.6, 127.4, 129.3, 131.1, 133.1, 135.0

That's correct.

>Three questions:
>
>1. I suppose that by "log-style" you mean you are aiming to produce
>an exponential curve.  If so, how can you do that by simply
>multiplying the numbers by x rather than raising them to a certain
>power?

I'll show you by including a sample spreadsheet as an attachment,
with the same figures as used in my previous post. The term for
deriving the speaking lengths in this way is 'geometric progression'.

>2. Your example produces a line that bulges in the middle _towards_
>the strike line as shown in the chart below, where the red line is
>straight and the blue is the graph of your lengths.  I hardly think
>this your intention.

Yes John, it bulges if you view it from the back of the piano, and is
hollowed if you view it from the keyboard. And that is exactly my
intention. If you go through the excercise of choosing core and wrap
diameters for such a scale, you'll find that its a whole lot easier
to arrive at a satisfactory set of numbers, when compared to
traditional bass scales, in which the bridge curve runs the other
way. I know it might look unusual, but it works. Have a look at my
280 concert grand line drawing on the 'for sale' section of my
website. The 280 has a bass bridge designed with exactly this
procedure. It really does make a lot of scaling sense once you get
used to it. Del Fandrich was, to my knowledge, the first designer to
scale basses in this manner.

>3. What is the purpose of a curved bass bridge, no matter what the
>equation for the curve, other than to give extra length to the
>second octave and enhance the tone quality where it matters more?

I'm not trying to enhance one section over another at all. I want to
produce something which has uniform characteristics for the entire
instrument. The best results, on the computer, seem to result when
the bass bridge is scaled in a similar fashion to the treble bridge.
The traditional bass bridge would seem to be a kind of hockey stick
shape, similar to the hockey stick treble.

>   To my mind there is no mathematical objection to a straight bass bridge.

I have no doubt that a straight bridge can be made to work well. But
I think there are advantages to the inwardly curved bass bridge.

Firstly, I have absolutely no time for using suspended bass bridges
in any piano, regardless of how short the piano under consideration
might be. Suspended bridges expose the soundboard panel to
undesirable torsional forces which cannot be doing anything to help
the sound board operate as a uniform panel. Furthermore, just from a
listening standpoint, suspended bridges seem to sound inferior to
straight connected bridges.

Secondly, as mentioned earlier, if you scale the bass log-style,
you'll end up with a scale which makes it somewhat easier to select
wrap and core diameter combinations which work. Furthermore, the lay
of the bridge at the low end will allow you to undercut the last few
notes if necessary to achieve a similar effect to a suspended bass
bridge, without introducing undesirable torsional forces to the
panel. So it seems to be a way of designing a bass bridge which has
the benefits of a suspended bridge without the undesirable side
effects.

Lets now look at the attached sample spreadsheet. Have look around
the sheet and you'll notice the following.

I've entered the actual chosen speaking lengths, for this sample
scale, into cells C2 and C27. The multiplier equation is filled into
cell D2. It reads =(C2/C27)^(1/25). In cell D3 you enter the equation
=D2. You then use the Fill Down function for cells D3 through to cell
D26. This sets up all necessary cells in column D so that they have
the multiplier number ready for use. All multiplier cells in column D
will update if either of the speaking lengths for A1 or Bfl26 are
altered. Now, in cell C3 we place the formula =C2/D2. This calculates
the speaking length for cell C3 by dividing the speaking length of
note A1 (cell C2) by the multiplier in D2 (because I have written the
fomula to calculate the speaking lengths from A1, reducing in
speaking length down to Bfl26, I have used divide, since the speaking
lengths are getting smaller from the first original cell used for the
calculations. I could have run the calculation from Bfl26, by
increasing the speaking lengths to achieve the same results using
multiply). The cells C3 through to C26 are filled using the Fill Down
function so that each new speaking length is calculated from the
results of the speaking length immediately above. Don't fill down to
cell C27 or you will create a circular reference.

The beauty of setting up a scaling sheet in this way is that you can
change the speaking length values for either A1 or Bfl 26 and the
sheet will update all the intermediate speaking lengths to form a
perfect geometric progression.

Try changing the values for the speaking lengths for A1 and Bfl26
(just type in a new speaking length and hit the 'enter' or 'return'
key), and watch the sheet update both the multiplier and the
intermediate speaking lengths automatically. When I'm designing the
treble plain wire section/s, I use the same scaling techniques to
derive the intermediate speaking lengths between those notes which
I've selected for the plain wire gauge changes. The chosen notes for
the wire gauge changes are determined by best matching the
inharmonicity and impedance to ideal curves which I generate for
these variables.

The mathematics required is quite simple, but the results seem to work nicely.

Best regards,
Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY